Shyla sings the blues

 


Met Shyla at the SA Music Awards and she murmured something to me about being a singer but wasn’t until I saw her perform at Memphis Slims that I truly understood the Shyla Eve experience! Shyla is an up-and-coming singer-songwriter performing around Adelaide and she’s determined to push all the boundaries and get her music to as many people as possible! So, a few days ago we had a latte and she filled me on what joins her dots with music!

 

1.       What lead you into music? You have this incredible, raspy singing voice that lends itself to 50’s and 60’s blues greats like Sharon Jones and Koko Taylor. When did you first discover you could sing like that?

Music has always been part of my life and grew up around it. I started writing songs on my acoustic guitar when I was 14 but can also play piano. About a year ago I began singing at open mic nights   at the Grace Emily and Memphis Slims. It was then I started listening to Blues music and this just took off. Since then I’ve been a regular at these nights and love it!

 

2.       What is your musical dream, like where do you visualize yourself in 10 years from now – What do you expect to be doing with music?

 

I guess I’ve always pictured myself in front of a lot of people. As long as I’m enjoying singing I’ll keep doing it and being on stage. For a living which will happen very soon!

 

 

3.       Tell me more about the song-writing direction you intend to follow in the present and then in the future?

 

I’d like to explore lot’s of different genres. This will something I’ll discover along the way. I’ve got very wide range of interests when it comes to music

 

4.       Influences – You can hear the deep New Orleans soul in your voice but what music gives you major inspiration?

 

I love Mary J Blige, what I like about her is I grew up singing her songs and also Hilltop Hoods! I’m a big fan of Hopsin and Tupac. They’re very intense and it spoke to me at certain point of my life.

 

      What was your favorite live show you’ve ever been to and why

 

Have to say Tash Sultana, I used to have this little iPod and this app I used to stream music and heard this song called ‘Gemini’ and listened to it all the time! A few months went by and eventually found more songs by Tash and then remember being in a retail store and heard her songs on the PA, the song called ‘Jungle’. It was her! Since then I’ve seen Tash perform live three times and overall she is just a really talented individual with her improv live shows. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn this sh*t up!

A new Tonix for your ears

This is brand new! Welcome to That Adelaide Band blog and Webpage