Hayli - Europe is calling!

 Hayli, she's quite the engima. Sings, plays VIOLIN, plays keys, guitar and piano like a boss! Always smiling, always happy and one of the nicest artists I've met. She can also bang out a solid tune and has songwriting prowess that'll see her around for years to come, maybe longer! I caught up with Hayli the other day and asked her 'where she at' currently in music, life and general. 

Hayli, I’m so impressed with what you bring to the table as far as interesting songs go, tell me about your process – I notice first that your chorus’ are massive – Is that an intention for you to highlight this as part of the song-writing process?


Well, Thanks!

For me, song writing is therapy. I think that’s applies to ALL musicians.
Some of us have so many words to say, that we just say it. Others have so much to say that they need to disguise the message- which we pretend is just intense creativity to  “protect” our audience. Others? They have so much to say that they can’t say it, so they paint it into incredibly catch guitar riffs, instrumentation selections, minor keys, major keys, modulations that make no sense, painfully technical brain numbing focus distracting work. In which they place meaningless and amusing lyrics on top.
We are all trying to deliver to you how we feel. Like an energy transfer in whatever medium feels safest for us.
If you listened to my first 4 releases it is undeniable that there is intense messages or experiences embedded. Some showcase that emotion more than others: but I bet you couldn’t guess how each started.
The process always starts differently, but the same base applies. The lyrics must tell a story- be it transparent or extremely ambiguous, I promise you there is always a story. And that story is always real. I love to capture my personal truths, or even that of others without their knowing; and transform it into this universal language that helps myself, my band and our audience express themselves.
Big chorus’ are where I truely let those feelings out. Either in words, or melodically. I love me some dynamics and a vocal belt.
From there the journey is endless- select a chord progression, design a catchy hook on the violin, present it to the band with said “ambiguous brief” and watch them transform it into the best kept/unkept secret you’ve ever heard. ;)


What do you enjoy most about playing live/and do you have any future plans for more orchestral sounds since you are a classically trained musician?

I love this question because when I’m not performing as an artist, I’m mentoring younger musicians in their writing; and one of my priorities in this is to help people discover how powerful they can make their music if they open their instrumentation up. Bringing orchestral and contemporary sounds together is a huge deal to me, as a violinist. Jason, my bassist, is also an amazing trumpeter- and our crowd favourite ‘Little Secret’ sends the audience reeling. It’s sexy. People LOVE how orchestral instrumentation makes them feel, and it thrives when it’s seen in a setting no one prepared for. So after that ramble, the short and shiny answer is Yes and always. I Promise you will always see us find more ways to bring those orchestral sounds into HAYLI (Live and Produced).

What’s been your highlight so far since you started playing live with a band?

The greatest highlight of the ‘HAYLI’ band, is how incredibly close we are. The best way I could describe the boys is that they’re basically my family. We’ve been through some hugely character developing experiences together- both musically and personally. They see me at my strongest and my weakest. They nurture the vulnerability of my songs and turn them into the most sincere and creative arrangements. And though we keep finding ourselves bigger and better opportunities, the bit that has my heart is 100% the songwriting process, the realness that we share each other, and the guarantee for fun.

If you could tour anywhere in the world, where would it be?

 I’d LOVE to do a UK Tour. Or just anything European. One- because I think our music would get good reception over there, but Two- because I have a weird obsession with European history. I specifically couldn’t think of anywhere more amazing in the world to see than German History. Totally blows my mind. I asked the band lads if they’d be okay with Europe; no one has said no!

Who are your influences, Hayli? What acts do you really look up to cause I can hear some classic bands in your sound such as Sheryl Crow, Goo Goo Dolls etc

I hope other musicians can relate when I say this, but I actually think it’s forever changing. I know HAYLI has its sound, because I’ve always been a vocalist for Ballard and stories. But as I write and release with the band, I’m finding I love exploring more and more away from what I know. We’ve played around with genres, and I am proud that no one can properly predict what the next single will sound like. It’s cool that our music can’t have us pigeonholed. But currently- the new target is to land somewhere inside of Powderfinger and Radiohead, maybe the lighter side of Nothing but thieves sound; with a female vocal timbre like Sades sexual energy paired with Sheryl Crows dynamic vocals. Dido even. I am also blessed with a band who have extensive skillset across genres too, so they ALWAYS influence. They deliver amazing ideas in those blues/ punk/ jazz spaces. I’m a violinist. So if you consider everything I just mentioned… I proudly have no idea!
Let’s just write, experiment, and see what it happens…




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn this sh*t up!

A new Tonix for your ears

This is brand new! Welcome to That Adelaide Band blog and Webpage